Bodybuilder Faheem Chauhan interviewed me about a different take on the ketogenic diet, focusing on its application for contest prep. Even if you’re not interested in contest prep though, this interview provides a good overview of my current thoughts on keto for fat loss, muscle growth and strength development.
- 00:08 Life in Brazil
- 00:38 Introducing Menno
- 01:25 Keto for Contest Prep
- 01:47 Advantages of keto for contest prep
- 05:16 Appetite suppression variability
- 07:11 Decision fatigue and dieting rules
- 08:58 Keto bias in evidence based circles
- 09:53 Summarising the benefits
- 12:13 Downsides and exaggerated claims
- 13:42 Glycogen and performance in keto long term
- 18:05 Training style on keto
- 20:33 Evaluating the criticisms
- 22:00 Which ketogenic diet is most appropriate
- 28:20 Flexible dieting vs rigid diet structures in adherence
- 35:16 Setting up a contest prep diet
- 37:51 Rate of weight loss
- 41:08 Differences in the final stages
- 42:55 Periodising food choices on the way down
- 45:38 The value of ketosis vs filling non-keto foods
- 47:52 Vegetable intake
- 51:00 Timeline for prep
- 52:33 Peak week strategies
- 56:19 Does carb tolerance change with long term keto
- 58:37 Menno wrote a book!
Click here to listen on Apple Podcasts or Soundcloud.
Then get our free mini-course on muscle building, fat loss and strength.