Willpower, breaking bad habits & starving your cravings [Interview]
Categories: Nutrition, Videos & podcasts
Astrid Naranjo interviewed me about how to cultivate more willpower, break bad habits, starve your cravings and other topics from my new book. See her timestamps below.
- 00:01 Intro
- 01:25 what inspired Menno to write the book
- 03:17 *Self control- theory of the willpower as a limited resource (situations of self control failure as a result of ego depletion)
- 05:59 *”Self control seen as an investment strategy in contrast to consumption
- 07:09 *Why willpower is not like a muscle? Can we train self control
- 10:28 *Procrastination, how to stop this
- 12:10 To do lists – made efficient
- 16:21 *self scheduling work & programing your diet with your circadian rhythm, how beneficial can this be
- 18:08 how about those who have the clock inverted/ Shift workers
- 20:31 *Stance on Nootropics for brain alertness & focus & more productivity
- 22:21 do you need Nootropics to be more productive
- 23:20 nootropics in pre workouts
- 25:03 *How important is to keep relatively stable your blood sugar levels throughout the day when it comes to health
- 27:45 importance of consistent meal pattern/structure?
- 29:51 shift work
- 31:10 *When a person is in energy deficit, why people usually report brain fog, more mood changes, people are more cranky , you talk about this your book. Is there any relationship between calorie deficit & mental energy/mood
- 32:45 calorie deficit doesn’t mean food scarcity. 2 S : satiating & satisfying
- 36:11 potatoes are very underrated
- 37:38 *Explain the postprandial somnolence, why people get sleepy after a meal rather than feeling super energetic straight away
- 39:13 *Once you decide on your preferences low vs high carb diet, how important is keeping same consistency on a daily basis, does it matter if you switch day to day the ratio of these 2 macros
- 42:24 *What do you mean by “not binding bacon to the cat’s back”
- 44:33 mindless eating/ snacking
- 47:14 *A very popular question that gets asked all the time, How to stop food cravings? – you also talk about the food craving inventory, how does this help
- 49:33 Food restriction vs food deprivation & the power of choosing
- 51:11 think of energy density before every meal
- 52:00 after a meal, think whether it was worth it or not
- 53:00 *How to break an undesirable eating habit? There are 3 methods, substitution, discontinuation & inhibition, how are these implemented
- 56:18 Is there such thing as food addiction
Want more content like this?
Then get our free mini-course on muscle building, fat loss and strength.